When considering the large number of accomplishments resulting
from the EO-1 mission, a sizable number can be classed as "firsts". Listed below
are those "firsts" that are considered most
significant for the Spacecraft Bus.
- Use high data rate electronically steerable antenna
at X-band frequency.
- Use NASA very high data rate solid-state recorder (>
- Use Reed-Solomon error detection and correction chip
that operates at 1 Gbps.
- Validate non-linear autonomous, long term formation
flying and use of software that incorporates
- Use pulsed plasma thruster as precision attitude control
- Use shape memory alloy for system hinge and deployment
- Use panel with Carbon-Carbon as facesheet material where
panel is utilized both as a radiator and as part of spacecraft primary structure.