Hyperion Science Validation
When considering the large number of accomplishments resulting
from the EO-1 mission, a sizable number can be classed as "firsts". Listed below
are those "firsts" that are considered most
significant for Hyperion Science Validation.
- Acquire hyperspectral observations of the Earth with
Landsat spatial resolution (30 m) and
AVIRIS spectral resolution (10 nm) over the entire Landsat
- Accurately map and characterize temperature distributions
of active lava flows and forest fire "hot
spots" from space.
- Track re-growth in partially logged Amazon forests and
reliably estimate Amazon forest drought
- Demonstrate that spaceborne hyperspectral sensors can
identify and map vegetation species
(including invasive species), canopy nitrogen concentrations,
- Map several fire fuel classes from space at very high
accuracies, including senesced grass, soil,
- Separate total carbon into living biomass, dead biomass,
and soil background with high accuracy.